Openly Straight Gets a Sequel!

So here’s the news I’ve been dying to share for the past, oh, four months:

A sequel to OPENLY STRAIGHT is on its way!

It’s called HONESTLY BEN, and it picks up right after where the first book left off. The catch: it’s Ben’s story of second semester at Natick, not Rafe’s.

This novel is really meant as a gift to fans of the first book, some of whom felt that they weren’t ready to leave the world of the book quite yet, and many of whom felt (spoiler alert, careful!) heartbroken by the ending of the book.

Will Ben forgive Rafe?Will Ben and Rafe wind up together? Is Ben even gay? bi? something else entirely? What the hell is Toby doing inside of Ben’s closet during a blizzard? Is it a bad idea for Rafe and Ben to play a game called Let’s Clear the Air without the benefit of a Plastic Screwdriver or two?

These questions and more will be answered in the sequel. I promise.

Here’s what Publisher’s Marketplace had to say about the book:

publisher's marketplace HB

A draft of the book is already written, so I know the answers to those questions. But sorry, you won’t get them from me! You’ll have to wait until the book comes out next year. In the meantime, here’s a song I listened to a lot while writing the sequel’s first draft:

Agape, by Bear’s Den:

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Openly Straight Gets a Sequel!

1. Hell yeah! Congrats, Bill!

2. Jen Reeder says:

Awesome news! Loved the first book!

3. Michael Cory says:

I am so excited! My favorite LGBT novel is getting a sequel! Can’t wait to read it (:

4. Sheridan Lowery says:

Wow! So great, I’m really excited to get Ben’s voice in the story as the narrator. I just loved the characters and relationships in Openly Straight, and can’t wait to see how they develop in Honestly Ben.

5. Ian says:

Internally shrieking. I feel like i would be crying loads whilst reading the sequel. And that’s fine by me!

6. Kathryn says:

Oh my god, I think I’m dying right now. Out of EXCITEMENT. I just finished it yesterday and I was, as you said, heartbroken. I can’t wait for the sequel!

7. vuhies@gmail.com says:

OH THANK GOODNESS! I was just thinking while I read the whole book last night (until 4 AM) that it would be very interesting to see Ben’s side of the story and that ending was just screaming for a sequel!

8. paddylastinc says:

and here I am still hoping that Ben will end up (still) dating Rafe… ^^

9. Maria says:

You have NO IDEA how happy I am to see this! I am reading ‘openly straight’ at the moment and I’m like 10 pages away from finishing it and I keep putting it off because I just don’t want it to end. But now I know I can finish it happily knowing that it’s not the end really! This book has surprised me in so many ways, and Ben is probably my favourite character so I’m double happy to hear about the sequel from Ben’s POV! I agape you for this! 🙂

10. Kyle says:

I keep checking the site for a release date… I’m stuck in this books world!! I felt I got to know each of the character and when I finished the book I was already looking for more! I can’t wait to read this book. When it goes on pre-order I am going to be one the first one to pre-order it!

11. Charlie says:

OH MY GOD. This is such a great news! I finished this book in just 2 days. (4am+ by the time I finished reading) I was indeed heartbroken, like everyone. But I’m so excited for this!!!

12. Dylan says:

ah i just finished reading openly straight today & it has my emotions going all over the place. i’m so in love with this book & i can’t wait to read honestly ben; the sequel!!!

13. Chris says:

This is definitely music to my brain ! I read the first book a feew days ago..as it ended it struck me as incomplete . I Was like oh no! That can’t really be how this story ends 😦
    So glad to hear news of a sequal!! I do hope we see plenty of rafe. I liked Ben but rafe was Undoubtably my favorite lol. Many thanks to listening to your fans of the first novel this really makes us happy .. Just please make sure the novel gives us some semblance of closure becuase as much as I loved the first one I didn’t feel like the ending was fair to us .. A ambiguous open ending did not seem to fit that wonderful story .

14. lily says:

fuck yeah!! i just finished openly straight and man oh man i need more!!!

15. Anthony says:

When is it coming out ?

16. Rich says:

I am super excited and can’t wait to pre-order it!

17. Anali says:

Oh my goodness, I absolutely loved Openly Straight. I think that Out of all the main characters, Toby is my favorite. I’me proud to say that this was the first lgbt book I have ever read.
    I’m so glad that there’s going to be a sequel!

18. Jewel Rasani says:

I just finished reading this and i felt so bad. I am such a fan of RAFE-BEN love story. I was really expecting they’d end up together. And my heart was really torn to pieces when i reached the end part of the book! Please let them be together! Their connection is undoubtly beautiful and unique. For now i’ll just cry till i sleep lol

19. Jessica Gartshore says:

I just finished reading this book for my class, and at first i thought it was going to be silly, but then after i finished reading it i loved it, it was an amazing read, and i cannot wait until Honestly Ben comes out, i will order it and the moment i get it i will not stop until i finish it, i hope that Ben and Rafe do end up together, throughout the whole book i was picturing it all in my head, what the characters look like, how they act and their personality’s, i loved how you portrayed them and how you are making the next book in Ben’s Point of View, and i think it was a great idea, now i have to write an essay about the book, and i cannot wait to get started, so thank you Bill 🙂

20. James Burns says:

Totally delighted! can’t wait.

21. Chas says:

omg i just finished reading openly straight and I need the sequel right now!! There better be an ending this time billy boy!! 😉 I’m so excited

22. Kevin says:

Omg BILL THANK YOU! I mean it! I have been taking a long time to finish it because I didn’t want the story to end. Then today I was reading it when I realize I was at the END. I told myself that couldn’t be it because we as the readers never got closer on the whole Ben situation! I’m honestly so excited you can’t even imagine. I can’t wait to continue reading THIS FALL which is only months away! I’m also excited that you made it so we hear bens side is the story.

23. taylor says:

I can’t wait until the sequel comes out I can really relate to the book itself and the things he goes through